Tuesday, December 30

Whats in a Name?

I am not always very good at communicating with words. As a matter of fact, it can be quite a struggle for me. I have thought about this fact quite a lot. Especially after a particularly embarrassing miscommunication or days of agonizing over the title of a painting. I believe this to be due to several factors. 1.) I am a visual artist and as such tend to be more of a visual person. 2.) I am very hard of hearing (almost deaf in fact) and 3.) I tend to think in images rather than words (probably due to reason #1 & 2 combined??).

Recently this is really driving me crazy! I am having a terrible time trying to name my paintings and I am getting really frustrated. So many times when I name a painting I feel it doesn't really "fit". The title should be an extension of the painting right?

I have even tried listing words that come to mind when I think of the painting. This is not really working. I think maybe the reason is because the words end up being manufactured as I think in pictures not sound. Probably the most honest name for any of my paintings would be something like "picture in my head #10,929" lol . But even that doesn't convey the emotion or thought pattern I meant to portray.

It is all very frustrating.

0 comments: