Friday, December 19

Ramblings... on developing your own style

Artists are told they should develop their own personal style. Unless you copy someone else's work exactly (and yes, I know there are those who are good at doing just that) well then in my opinion that is kind of a stupid statement. If you pick up a pencil, brush, glue etc. ... You have your own style. It may not be what you want it to be. And it probably isn't what it will be in say 5 years or so but if it is... well, I hate to break it to you but you are stagnated. (If that's the case may I suggest a few creativity exercises?) But usually when this sort of thing is said what they really mean is paint the same way and the same subjects over and over. And over, and over and over. I have always had a problem with this. Maybe it is because I have such varied interests. So, from time to time my style changes some, a little or a lot, and I paint many different subjects. So what if it can't be said I am a "landscape artist", a "portrait artist", or so on or so on?? I paint what I want to paint, what I am moved to paint. In other words, I paint from my heart. If, according to some, that makes the way I paint "incorrect" (puhlease!!) then so be it. This may sound a little harsh, but I don't paint for anyone other than myself anyway. Don't misunderstand me, I, like many, many artists, have an ego and I love it when someone likes my work. But its still not why I paint. The only reason I really know this about myself is because... well, when I wasn't displaying or sharing my artwork at all, guess what? I still painted. A lot. All the time really. Then, as now I just painted because I felt compelled to. Who knows why. I have thousands of paintings floating around in my head just waiting for their turn and believe me, it will keep me awake at night if I don't do something about it!. Some of them may never get painted. :( Unless, of course, they improve medical technology really quickly and I get to live to be 200 or so. Maybe not even then. lol

So, I will just keep painting, and painting, and painting. Many subjects, my own style(s) lol. If you are an artist, you should too. Let's take our creative efforts back to where they should be. Art should never be just about marketing.

0 comments: